About Primary Venture Partners
Primary is an early-stage venture capital firm based in New York City, run by Ben Sun and Brad Svrluga, who combined have a 30-year track record as investors and operators in the NYC Tech scene. We primarily invest in two sectors: Next Generation Commerce and SaaS. We focus on startups based in NYC and strive to be the most valuable and trusted partner to our portfolio companies. Our portfolio companies include Jet.com, Maple, BounceExchange, Coupang, Reonomy and Ticketfly.
Opportunity: VP of Market Development & Strategy
Since starting Primary Venture Partners, one of our core values has been to “Be the First Call” for the entrepreneurs that we serve. We want to be an incredibly supportive partner who is there to help them with the challenges of running their business. To do so, we have built an array of platform resources that we make available to our companies to help them address a broad range of operational challenges. The VP of Market Development & Strategy is a new role to help our portfolio companies.
This is an incredible role for someone looking to get their start in venture capital or gain experience that will help them in a leadership role at a start-up. You will work with a select number of portfolio companies in helping with Market Development. This is NOT an investment position where you are working new investment opportunities. This job is about really understanding the needs of a few of our portfolio companies and supporting them by connecting them with the big companies that matter in their industry.
What will you do as our VP of Market Development & Strategy?
1. Building and Managing a Network of Marketing Leaders
The Primary Expert Network is a group of over 300 great operators and technologists that assist our portfolio companies and help with investment diligence. We also foster a number of community type activity and events to allow members to better network with other excellent operators. You will be focused on building a network of the best senior marketing executives. This network will be used as advisors and board members of portfolio companies. They will be a resource for due diligence on investment opportunities And we will be building a community of these marketing leaders to exchange best practices and insights including organizing the Primary Marketing Summit with our portfolio company, BounceExchnage, which will be an annual event bringing best in class digital marketers together for insightful presentations, panels, discussions and networking.
2. Provide new business opportunities for our Marketing Tech portfolio companies
You will be focused on assisting a select group of our marketing technology portfolio companies such as BounceExchange, SimpleReach and Whosay in prospecting and connecting with companies for new business opportunities. You will be managing a pipeline of prospects of new corporate clients for these portfolio companies. You will need to have deep understanding of the portfolio companies you are supporting and the marketing technology space. You will be connecting with prospects, understand their needs and strategy and then helping them build relationships with our portfolio companies. You will be tracking and reporting your performance and funnel conversion and constantly adjusting and managing your tactics to optimize your performance. You will primarily be working at the offices of our portfolio companies, integrated with their team and viewed as a true partner.
Do you think you would be an awesome VP of Market Development & Strategy? If so, here’s how your mom should describe you:
- Marketing or Strategy experience at a leading start-up. At a marketing technology or ecommerce company is a major plus. Proven strategic and consultative thinker. We prefer if you have management consulting or investment banking experience or have a proven history of being a structured, analytic thinker with a range of tools and frameworks at your disposal.
- You love to network. “Connector” is your middle name. You enjoy cultivating new relationships and interpersonal interactions and are a good salesperson, comfortable making an ask
- You figure sh*t out and can work independently. We don’t need to hold your hand to figure out what you have to do next.
- You have a real interest in marketing technology and enterprise software/SaaS.
- You are not an A-hole. You might be a superstar genius, but if people don’t always refer to you as a “really great person” then you definitely don’t belong here. We need to like you, and so do all of your contacts.
How do you apply? Send your resume or LinkedIn profile to email@example.com